Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wiring. Yeah. Still.

You know how people shudder at the thought of redesigning and rewiring the electrical system their boats from start to finish because it is a mind numbing exercise in tedium? Turns out writing about rewiring and redesigning electrical systems is exactly as scintillating as actually doing it. Now you understand why I've been quiet and you will understand why the next few posts might fall more into the "life" category as opposed to "boat life". Never fear, once Mark finishes it I will do a long, lengthy step by step outline of what was done, what was changed and how it was accomplished.

With the boat in huge disarray, we are definitely taking a 'divide and conquer' approach. This means I keep the kids busy on land while Mark works on the boat. With the companionway steps out to provide access to the engine, wires and tools laying about it makes sense to keep the kids away but I'll admit that sometimes its tough to feel so removed from the hands on work. It can be easy to forget that while keeping the kids happy and engaged might not be as immediately satisfying as tackling a project and checking it off the list, it is a very important part of the getting us off the dock process. Don't get me wrong, I adore being with my kids its just that sometimes it feels as if I'm not really helping us to get to the big goal of getting the boat ready to go.

With all the toddler wrangling, big girl school activities and non-stop boat projects sometimes it feel like we don't get a lot of time to just hang out. I treasure our weekend mornings. Before work begins on boat projects, its time for coffee and toast and hanging out with the kids for a few hours. We are all really enjoying Kitty just now- its so much fun to hear her trying out new words (elephant and alligator are her current faves) and watching Maura and Kitty really beginning to play together. Just the best kids ever. Its a good reminder of why we are doing all this work to be able to spend time together.

7 comments:

  1. As Dani and I worked on our repower, she often grew gravely irritated at "not doing anything." We actually had fights over it. I had to remind her many times that quietly looking on and handing me tools as I worked was hugely valuable to me. If she hadn't been there turning the fan on me, handing me water when I needed it, or grabbing me the odd tool I could have easily added 100s of hours just climbing in and out of tight spaces as I worked for tools, equipment, or creature comforts. I'm sure you keeping the kids out of the way is a huge help. Keep it in mind. Help comes in all forms.

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh her hair is getting so long and lovely and Maura is gorgeous as usual. Loved the 'elephant' but was more interested in the, "no, no, no." Wonder when Cora will start that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sundowner- thanks for the positivity Tate! I just really like being able to tick off a box saying "DONE" and ou never get to do that with kids!

    @Charlotte- If Cora had a sibling it wouldbe sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so sweet! That's what it's all about my dear. Savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The work you're doing now is Worth Every Minute. Spending all of our days together is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey how did I already see this multiple times and not comment?!?!? I really thought I had! SO SWEET in any case!

    ReplyDelete