Thursday, June 2, 2011

All Work and No Play



Its really easy to become so caught up in preparing/refitting/correcting previous neglect on the boat that you forget to take time to enjoy the people around you. I made a concious decision to take time out to play with the kids a bit more. If it meant that it takes me a bit longer to get the items on my list ticked off, so be it.

I started in on the cloth baby gate to block access to the companionway as Kitty has figured out how to quickly clamber up the steps. I''ve not finished it because I took a break to take the girls for a walk about the neighborhood, an ice cream and a quick dip in the marina pool.

Kitt hates to wear hats but she loves sunglasses. She especially loves these round, glittery ones. With her newly cut bangs and her reddish tinged hair, she looks just like a baby Elton John in them. I know this. I am okay with this. I love Elton John. Ok, I love Bennie and the Jets/Rocket Man/Tiny Dancer Elton with a love so strong I can forgive him his Disney disasters...

The next day we spent the morning at the beach. Maura was a bit annoyed as I wouldn't let her go in past her knees as the red flags were flying, the surf was pounding and rip currents were ripping along. I know, kill joy. That's me. She wants to learn how to surf and took the opportunity to jump on a piling to practice her balance.

This was Kitty's first beach experience and she wasn't quite sure what to make of it. She loved the wind and was signing "wind" like mad. She loved the birds hovering over head. The sand made for unsteady footing and she wasn't 100% sure about it but toddled on gamely. She was definitely not a fan of the surf coming in over her feet to surprise her. Eventually, she relaxed and had a good time. I'm sure with a bit more exposure she'll come to love the beach as much as her sister.


3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful family. Glad you are taking some time to play. And yes - ELTON! I love it!
    The shot of M&K looking out to the water is outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very beautiful!!!! I love the beach. I was thinking we hadn't been in so long, but I guess it was only like April last time we went.

    Good idea on taking the time off! Isn't there some saying or something? "Time spent on ice cream is never wasted..." I think it goes like that. :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just wanted to pop in and tell you I love your blog! :) The photos of the girls are great and I like learning about what you are doing to get the boat ready.

    ReplyDelete