Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dyneema Experience 2011 or Sometimes S%&T happens.

The 2011 Dyneema Experience is heating up. Teams are answering the challenges and fiercely competing for the grand prize- a trip to Spain complete with a 2 day training sail with the Puma racing Team. Nice, huh? Racing teams are posting professionally filmed videos of their boats competing in races with their new Dyneema running rigging. Lots of professional photos are appearing on Flickr of the boats resplendant in their new Dyneema rigging. This is a competition based on social media exposure after all. with the winner being announced after the close of the competition on Sept. 21.

So why have I been so quiet? Don't I want to win the grand prize? While the answer to the latter question is a definite and resounding YES! My answer to the former question is that its hard to write about waiting. and waiting.

See, through nobody's fault we've not received our Dyneema rigging yet. Nor have the crews of Majestic , Excellent Adventure and Zero to Cruising. We are all trying to remain upbeat and positive because the worst case scenario is still pretty great- we will all eventually have our boats rerigged with Dyneema. Despite being determined to remain positive, its a little bit of a bummer to feel that you are being handicapped in the competition for the grand prize before you even had a chance to get started.

As I see it, I have three options. The first option is to not compete for the grand prize, keep silent and just be happy when the rigging arrives. Well, that doesn't work for me. Firstly I feel that I owe Dyneema a big one in exchange for the rigging I will eventually be receiving. All that they have asked for in return for the rigging is for us to promote Dyneema by blogging, tweeting and sharing our experiences with the line. Its not a small thing getting free Dyneema rigging for the boat- its actually pretty darned big. Dyneema is absolutely the best line on the market and it is also not inexpensive. WInning the rigging really is helping our refit budget. Secondly, I've got enough competitive spirit in me to not be able to just throw in the towel. I've still got some fight in me.

The second option is to be bitter and angry and go on and on about how unfair Dyneema is. That doesn't work because quite frankly, every one at Dyneema has been fantastically nice and helpful. They are as flummoxed as we are at the delays we are experiencing. I just can't bad mouth a product I know I'm gonna love and a group of people who I believe to be really, really good peeps.

So I've decided to go with option three. Option three is to make a good show of it by laughing about the delays, making light of the frustration and competing for the grand prize with nothing more than a Dyneema burgee, a sticker and sheer chutzpah.

Option three is definitely more my style so in that spirit, here is my entry for Challenge 3 of the 2011 Dyneema Experience. There are some people who are able to make lemonade when life hands them lemons. I've always prided myself on being able to pop a paper umbrella in a glass of water and pretend its lemonade when life refuses to even give me lemons in the first place.

2 comments: