Wednesday, June 24, 2009

All That and a Side of Sweet Potato Fries

You may recall that I previously mentioned an "inglorious docking manuever" on our eventful outing on Ceol Mor. Well, I wasn't the only one to have a bit of a tussle with a dock. Apparently, the previous owners decided to take the boat out for one last sail before we transferred the title. It seems that they found 42 feet of boat a bit much to handle as well as evidenced by the deep scratch along the port side hull. My screw up was on the starboard side and I would like to add, was quite a bit smaller in scope.

Here is the damage report- Starboard side 2 feet of intermittent scratches, fender rub Port side, 5 foot long deep scratch. Normally I would post photos of the damage but somebody (who shall remain nameless) left the camera out where it could be easily pilfered. Next week, digital camera shopping!

Since our hull has been painted with Awlgrip which is notoriously finicky about which products to use, my first thought to clean up the hull was using the recommended polish Awlcare. Well, no one had any Awlcare in stock and the stuff is ridiculously expensive. So I put on my thinking cap and had a light bulb moment- Magic Eraser!

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser has worked on everything in my home- flat finish painted walls, shower glass, ceramic tile, perfectly. I thought that I had nothing to lose so I thought I'd give it a shot. Mark was dubious as to whther or not it would work and whether or not it would damage the finish.

The Magic Eraser not only worked, it worked easily and efficiently leaving no evidence behind. No one but Mark and you dear readers would ever know about my bone headed docking manuever. Hurray! I should point out that our hull is white. I do not know how the Magic Eraser will work on a dark painted hull so if you are trying to hide evidence of a bash up, do a test area in an inconspicuous area before taking the Magic Eraser down the hull.

Now we are ready to clean the hull, the properly polish her up with Awlcare after her haul out. MagicEraser

No comments:

Post a Comment